Why cast iron?
- Cast iron retains and evenly distributes heat for a long time.
- It is perfectly suited for slow braised dishes.
- Cast iron is the ideal solution for both beginners and professionals.
- And the material is reusable!
Why should I purchase an enameled cast iron product from Staub?
- Simply because cast iron represents quality.
- Staub products are used and recommended by the greatest chefs in the world.
- The drops under the lid ensure the continuous basting of dishes.
- Black matte interior enamel coating
- Long-lasting and durable use
- Does not discolor or rust
- The longer the Cocotte is in use, the tastier the dishes become! This is because the fat you use during cooking penetrates into the pores of the matte enamel creating a natural and smooth non-stick coating.
- The smooth enamel base (blue on black Cocottes) can be used on all stovetops including induction.
- Solid brass handles on the lid (for black Cocottes) and nickel-plated stainless steel for all other colors.
Why are Staub products so heavy?
- All Staub products are produced from high-quality cast iron. Cast iron is by its very nature heavy and the use of enameled cast iron offers a whole range of benefits.
- A slow simmering process at low temperatures gives a more intense flavor to your food.
- It retains the heat for longer and keeps the food warm until you are ready to serve it.
- The heavy lid ensures that moisture is retained and that dishes acquire a more intense flavor.
- The base does not deform but remains flat and smooth.
What sorts of products should I use for cooking?
- We recommend the use of plastic/silicone or wood utensils in order to avoid scratches on the enamel surface.
What is the purpose of the small elevations in the lid?
- These elevations are intrinsic to our special drop process for continuous basting. They ensure the continuous basting of the food being cooked and distribute the condensed water evenly over the food, in other words simmering in a closed cycle, also absolutely evenly and not only at the edge as with traditional curved lids. Using a Cocotte from Staub guarantees you an optimum taste experience!
Can I clean my Staub products in the dishwasher?
- Yes, but we recommend that you clean them by hand. Staub guarantees top product quality. Therefore products should be also carefully cared for. Compliance with our maintenance and use instructions will ensure that you will be able to use your Staub product for a long time.
How should I clean my Staub products?
- Your Cocotte can be easily cleaned with any common washing-up liquid and water. Do not use any scouring agents or abrasive sponges to clean your Staub product. To remove stubborn dirt we recommend that you soak your Cocotte in warm water with a little washing up liquid until all residues can be removed.
Why do brown specks form on the base of my roasting pan?
- This is a natural consequence of the slow cooking process. Most brown spots can be removed by rubbing with a non-scouring cleaning agent. Use a paintbrush from time to time to oil the inside of your Cocotte with any common brand of vegetable oil and remove any oil residues before storing away. This will ensure your product retains its shine.
Is the enamel surface scratch-resistant?
- At Staub we use state-of-the-art black matte enamel which is particularly scratch-resistant. This was originally designed for very frequent use in restaurants.
- Even though our black matte enamel is particularly scratch-resistant, the tips for proper use are to be followed. The enamel may scratch if it collides with other objects or may chip if the product falls to the floor. Always ensure that you heat up your cast iron products slowly. Start initially with a few minutes at a low temperature. Then allow your roasting pan to cool down for at least 15 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
Must Staub products be burned in?
- All Staub products are enameled both on the outside and the inside. We recommend that before using your product for the first time you wash it in warm water and then let it dry thoroughly. Brush a little vegetable oil over the inside surfaces of the product, heat it at a low temperature and then after a few minutes remove any excess oil. The product can now be used.
What are the benefits of black matte enamel over a shiny enamel?
- Our black matte enamel is virtually indestructible and delivers excellent cooking results. Your Staub Cocotte will gradually season as the fats used in the cooking process penetrate into the pores of the black matte enamel. The black matte enamel will gradually go brownish ensuring better cooking results each time you use it!
Do Staub products have non-stick properties?
- The surface of the black matte enamel is not covered with a specific non-stick coating. The use of oil prevents your foodstuffs sticking and a little oil is always needed to prepare dishes. After a while a natural non-stick coating will form in your Staub Cocotte in exactly the same way as the seasoning of a pure cast iron product.
What temperature should I cook at?
- We recommend simmering on a medium heat which is gradually reduced. Due to the good heat distribution of cast iron it is not necessary to cook at high temperatures. But if you do want to cook at high temperatures then you should raise the temperature gradually in order to avoid a thermal shock.
At what temperature should I heat my water in a Staub teapot?
- Due to the good heat distribution of cast iron it is not necessary to set your teapot to maximum temperature to bring the water to the boil. Your water will still boil at a low heat and this avoids any damaging thermal shock.
Can Staub products also be used on glass ceramic stovetops?
- Yes. Staub products can be used on all oven types including induction. Products with a black matte exterior are coated on the underside with blue enamel which protects your sensitive stovetops.
Do the handles get hot?
- Yes. All lid knobs are made of brass or nickel-plated stainless steel and are heat-resistant up to 500°F. To avoid burns always use oven cloths or oven gloves when you touch your Staub products.
What gaurantee does Staub offer?
- We offer a 30 year warranty that is explained in more detail on our website under the menu item "warranty". We commit to offering services and products of the highest quality to our entire customer base. If you are not satisfied with your Staub product, please contact us so that we can solve your problem.
What is the purpose of the three elevations on the edge of the lid?
- These elevations stabilize the lid when it is placed on the Cocotte.
What is the meaning of the letters (A, B, C, D etc) and the numbers engraved at specific locations?
- These are symbols which are included in the production molds. Depending on the size of the product, several products can be cast at the same time in one mold (e.g. one mold contains several lids). If a defect is identified on a product then we can use this number to determine the respective position of the mold and take the necessary measures to guarantee a flawless product.
- The letters or numbers have nothing to do with product quality (2nd choice or B-goods).
Are the silicon handles from Staub oven-safe?
- Yes--up to a maximum temperature of 400°F. You can however simply remove the handles before you put your Cocotte in the oven.
What does cast iron consist of?
- Cast iron is a compound of carbon-enriched iron. It also contains silicon, manganese, phosphorus and sulfur.