Cooking Time90 min.
- Ask your butcher to cut the beef into equal sized pieces. Remove the meat from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting.
- Remove the bacon rind, chop the bacon into 1 cm cubes. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Wash the parsley, remove any thick stalks and tie the parsley, thyme and bay leaf with a kitchen tie to form a bouquet garni. Scald the tomatoes and peel. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a roasting pan, add the bacon and stir with a wooden spoon. When the butter is slightly brown, first add the meat and then the onions. Season with salt and pepper, stir with a wooden spoon, sprinkle with paprika powder and stir again.
- Simmer uncovered on a low heat for 10-15 minutes. Cut the tomatoes into pieces and add to the meat.
- Salt the tomatoes. Add the bouquet garni and the wine, cover and cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally. If necessary add a little warm water: The meat must always be covered with liquid. The dish must simmer the whole time on a low heat.
- Meanwhile peel the potatoes and 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time boil them in salted water.
- Warm the serving dishes and plates.
- At the end of the cooking time, remove the pot from the oven and add the cream.
- Reheat and add seasoning if necessary.
- Arrange on serving dishes with potatoes, fresh butter and German style farmhouse bread.
2 lbs. beef (Stew cuts)
8 strips smoked lean bacon
1 medium onion
2 medium, ripe tomatoes
4 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. Hungarian ground paprika
1 cup white wine
3/8 cup heavy cream
1 small bunch parsley
1 sprig of thyme
1 bay leaf
1 lb potatoes
German style farmhouse bread