cooking time60 min.
- Generously salt the lemon slices on both sides. Stack the slices on top of each other and set aside. Add the couscous to a large bowl. Pour 1 cup cold water over it and mix well with your hands so that the couscous is evenly covered with liquid. Set aside while you prepare the chicken.
- Salt all sides of the chicken legs. Heat 1/2 tbsp. oil in a 5.5 qt (or larger) Cocotte on a medium heat. Divide the meat into 3 portions and sauté on all sides for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Set the chicken aside on a plate. Sauté the onions for 5-7 minutes until they are soft. Add the garlic, bell pepper, ginger, cumin seeds, black pepper, curcuma and cinnamon. Stir thoroughly so the onions can fully absorb the spices and brown for 1 minute.
- Add the olives, apricots and the poultry broth and simmer. Meanwhile spray the lemons with cold water and cut into small pieces. Add the lemon pieces and the chicken to the Cocotte. Turn down the heat.
- Rub the couscous in the hands to separate out any lumps. Add 3/4 cup water and again mix the hands until it is all equally distributed.
- Use a spoon to transfer the couscous to the steamer and then place it in the Cocotte.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes on a low heat. The water must boil. Remove the steamer and transfer the couscous into a large bowl.
- Stir carefully with a large spoon to ensure there are no lumps. Pour on a further 1 cup water and stir thoroughly. Transfer the couscous back into the steamer and place it back in the Cocotte. Cover and cook slowly for another 15 minutes.
- Then return the couscous to the big bowl. Stir in 2 tbsp. olive oil and mix through until the oil has steeped equally through the couscous.
- Hone with salt. Place the chicken and the sauce in the middle of a large, deep serving dish and arrange the couscous around it with a spoon. Sprinkle with chopped coriander.
Kosher salt to taste
6 chicken legs
1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion in strips
4 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 tsp. ground paprika
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. curcuma
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup pitted green olives
3/4 cup dried apricots, cut into thin strips
2.5 cups chicken broth with a little salt
1/2 lemon, peeled and cut into thin slices
Ingredients for preparation in the steamer:
1.25 lbs. couscous, not pre-cooked
2 tbsp. olive oil